Sunday, November 20, 2011

Starting a business selling prints- Printing photos?

This might be an obvious question, but I have never printed my digital photos beyond using a Wal Mart or something for a few envelopes of travel or casual shots for personal use. But I am now wanting to sell some larger-sized matted prints through souvenir shops, etc. After I find a good online printing service I wish to use, how does the process work? Do I email them hi-res shots I want printed, and they mail me my prints? Is this cheaper than using a local printer? I would think the cost of mailing bulky, heavy paper would offest any cost savings of using a local printer. And do I set up a business account with them or something? Would I use Shutterfly or a similar service? Thanks!

Starting a business selling prints- Printing photos?
If you are talking about prints larger than 30" typically your local printing shops will have that outsourced and sent to them. I am sure that they either have a business account or a central printing shop that has the equipment to handle such an order.





That being said, I like local. I have had problems in the past with both York Photo and Mpix with pics that never arrived. York took over 2 weeks and Mpix has been well over a month and still nothing. They finally FedEx'd a replacement order but I will never use them again. I have had problems locally, but since they are the ones printing the pics I just look the order over and point out any problems and they take care of it within a few minutes. I use http://www.ritzpix.com/net/Default.aspx They are kind of the K-mart of the photo printing industry but I like that I can look someone in the eye and say "fix this". Also I had Mpix print multiple sizes of the same image and the colors were different. I am a screenprinter by day and maybe I am just splitting hairs, but then again I expect pics from the same file to look the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment