Sunday, August 22, 2010

Do I need to register my internet business as a foreign corporation?

I live in New York state, and am considering registering my business (internet - ad supported) as an LLC in Delaware. I don't sell any products - I only provide online content. Would I need to register as a foreign LLC in New York? Am I considered to be "doing business" in New York if only my office is located here and all revenue is from internet ads?

Do I need to register my internet business as a foreign corporation?
There is no good reason for you to register your business in Delaware. There are certain tax advantages for LARGE firms who choose to register in Delaware, but since you are in New York State, the simplest thing to do is to register as a New York corporation.





By doing that, you will limit your paperwork to one state, not two, and if you have an S-Corp, or an LLC, you will have all the protections and benefits that you would if you registered in Delaware.





Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment