Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Can I hide my online status in the Yahoo MAIL contacts list?

I recently became aware that people can see that I'm invisible (but actually online) in Yahoo Messenger, by going to their YAHOO MAIL contacts list and looking at the smiley next to my name.





Is there a way to block that -- to make sure I appear offline in the Yahoo Mail contacts list of my friends? I appear offline in every other application, because I have selected "hide my status" everywhere I can think of. But my friends can still go to the "Contacts" tab in Yahoo Email and see if I am online, even when I'm invisible in Yahoo Messenger.





The reason I need to do this is that a few of my friends simply don't respect that I work from home and use YM to communicate with biz associates. I remain inviz to them during business hours, so they'll let me work.





But now one of them has figured out that he can check his contacts list in Yahoo Mail and find out if I'm actually online, even though I appear to be offline in Yahoo Messenger and he IM's saying he knows I'm actually online.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Can I hide my online status in the Yahoo MAIL contacts list?
Hi There, I had exactly your same problem but for a different reason. Here is what you need to do.





1. Open your account settings, you will need to enter your password for this.





2. On the right side of your screen there is a link that says Public Profiles with your screen name and below that it says Edit/Create Profiles. Click that Edit/Create Profiles link.





3. Now in the middle of the page will be a large rectangular white box. It's a little hard to miss it. It says "Your Yahoo! Mail account is:" and your screen name. below this is a box. You will just need to check that box to hide your online status.





4. To complete the process be sure that you click the box that says Finished Editing.





This will do exactly what you need it to do. Have a good day.

hardware

No comments:

Post a Comment